California Applicant Privacy Notice and Notice of Collection
This Applicant Privacy Notice (the “Notice”) describes how Gartner Inc. and its affiliate companies (“us”, “we”, “our”, “Gartner Group”) collects, uses, and discloses information about individual who apply for open positions at Gartner that are California residents. Please note that this Notice does not form part of any employment contract or contract to provide services.
If you have any questions or complaints in relation to the use of your personal information, or this Notice, you can contact our Data Protection Officer at AskHR@Gartner.com.
- Information that we collect about you
We collect the information below about you during the recruitment process. If you fail to provide certain information when requested, we will not be able to process your application.
- Information you provide in your curriculum vitae, application form, covering letter and otherwise during the interview process, including: your name, date of birth, age, gender, home address, personal email address, education, qualification and work experience details, and references.
- Information we collect or create during the recruitment process including: interview notes, test scores and correspondence between us.
- Information about criminal convictions if requested: we reserve the right to carry out background checks as part of the recruitment process if required, and provided it is permitted by the applicable laws.
- Special categories of personal data: where you elect to provide this information to Gartner, this may include racial and ethnic origin information, information relating to disabilities, and physical or mental health information. We do not require you to submit any special categories of personal data as part of your employment application. If we offer you employment, we may ask you to provide your explicit consent to collect certain special categories of information from you for equal opportunity and diversity monitoring purposes.
We may also obtain information about you from references you have given, from recruitment agencies (if applicable) and via LinkedIn or other publicly available sources.
- How we use this information
We use the information we collect from you for various purposes, including (but not limited to):
- Evaluating your suitability for a role at Gartner;
- To consider the need for any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process and to ascertain your fitness to work;
- If you are initially unsuccessful in attaining selection for the job you applied for, we may retain the information on file with your consent to contact you about other potentially suitable roles within the Gartner Group in the future;
- Creating your employee personnel file, if hired;
- Maintaining our internal records of employment applications;
- Protecting the rights and interests of Gartner and others.
- Information that we share
We may share your personal information with companies, organizations and individuals inside the Gartner Group for administrative and management purposes. We may also share some of your data with our insurers, professional advisers, service providers that require access to the data for our business purposes, and any references. If you have questions or need more information, please contact AskHR@Gartner.com.
- How long we keep your data for
We keep your personal information for as long as is necessary for the purposes identified above. If you are hired, this will be the duration of your employment plus a period to fulfil any post-employment obligations. If you are not hired, we will retain information to deal with claims in accordance with applicable laws. If you would like to be considered for future vacancies that are relevant to your interests or would like to be informed of future careers and networking events from Gartner, and you provide us your consent, we will also keep your personal information so we may contact you about such vacancies. You may withdraw such consent at any time by contacting HRIS.HR@gartner.com.
- Individual rights
California residents have certain rights regarding their personal information. Subject to certain exceptions, if you are a California resident, you may request:
- access to your personal information including the right to know the categories of personal information we have or will collect about you and the reason we will or have collected such information;
- correction of the personal information that we have or will hold about you that is inaccurate;
- deletion or removal of your personal information.
You also have the right not to be discriminated against (as provided for in California law) for exercising your rights.
Exceptions to Your Rights: There are certain exceptions to these above rights. For instance, we may retain your personal information if it is reasonably necessary for us or our service providers to provide a service that you have requested or to comply with law or to detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity or prosecute those responsible for that activity.
Exercising Your Rights: To exercise one of the rights above, you may contact us as provided below.
We will take reasonable steps to verify your identity before responding to a request. In doing so, we may ask you for verification information so that we can match at least two verification points with information we maintain in our files about you. If we are unable to verify you through this method, we shall have the right, but not the obligation, to request additional information from you.
California law places certain obligations on businesses that “sell” personal information to third parties or “share” personal information with third parties for “cross-context behavioral advertising” as those terms are defined under California law. We do not “sell” or “share” the personal information covered by this Notice and have not done so in the twelve months prior to the effective date of this Notice.
- How to Contact Us