Job Description - Team Manager - Editorial 1Q24 (Hiring Manager = Caroline Jones)
About the role:
You're an empathetic people leader with a proven record of leading teams in a fast-paced, global environment. You have an eye for innovating towards agility, efficiency, and scalability, while embracing editorial standards and high-quality writing. You view change as an opportunity to evolve and innovate, and you excel at bringing people along as you drive to consensus.
At Gartner, you'll join the R&A Studio leadership team as you oversee and develop a team of 7-9 editors. Your team will work on a range of written deliverables, partnering with authors to produce research that provides strategic and actionable advice for top executives. Your team helps authors simplify complex topics into an easily digestible format and guides them with an eye toward writing best practices and style. Your leadership, expertise and coaching will be instrumental in creating Gartner’s high-quality, insights-driven research.
What you will do:
- Lead and develop a global team of 7-9 editors with varied tenures and backgrounds.
- Motivate, coach, facilitate solutions to work problems, address people-related issues, and be actively involved in the day-to-day activities of the team.
- Create an environment that fosters teamwork, collaboration, open communication, creative thinking, cohesive team effort and workplace integrity (including diversity, equity and inclusion).
- Understand production processes so you can identify areas for production optimization and scale for growth.
- Develop your Gartner business acumen and ensure team members understand how their actions affect the Gartner business, too.
- Provide ongoing feedback to associates about their work and continuously coach them to improve their editing/writing skill sets.
- Track and report on team and department productivity/efficiency and capacity, helping your team balance multiple priorities and successfully adjust/reprioritize resources as required to meet business needs.
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with stakeholders, direct reports and peer groups across the business.
- Serve as a thought partner to the leadership team. Help shape our strategy by identifying and driving innovations in line with the goals of the team and the company.
- Drive Gartner’s commitment to DE&I throughout all aspects of the business: hiring practices, associate development, client service and community support.
What you will need:
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent (don’t have a degree, but have real-world experience, apply!).
- 7+ years of work experience in editing, writing, journalism, communications or a similar field.
- 2+ years’ experience leading/managing teams and/or developing high-performing individuals and teams. Ideal candidate has experience leading remote or hybrid teams, and in leading an editorial team.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment that required extensive global stakeholder communication and management, coordination of multiple projects, and process/system innovation and optimization.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, including presenting to and facilitating conversations with internal and external professionals at all levels.
- Ability to thrive under pressure by confidently prioritizing the critical few goals from ambiguous/uncertain circumstances, allowing you to role model work-life balance for your team.
- Strong time management, planning and organizational skills.
- Advanced knowledge of Google Workspace and Microsoft Office Suite.
Who are we?
At Gartner, Inc. (NYSE: IT), we deliver actionable, objective insight that drives smarter decisions and stronger performance on an organization’s mission-critical priorities. We’ve grown exponentially since our founding in 1979 and we're proud to have over 19,500 associates globally that support over 15,000 client enterprises in more than 100 countries.
What makes Gartner a great place to work?
Our teams are composed of individuals from different geographies, cultures, religions, ethnicities, races, genders, sexual orientations, abilities and generations. We believe that a diversity of experiences makes us stronger—as individuals, as communities and as an organization. That’s why we're recognized worldwide as a great place to work year after year. We've been recognized by Fortune as one of the World’s Most Admired Companies, named a Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index and a Best Place to Work for Disability Inclusion by the Disability Equality Index. Looking for a place to turn your big ideas into reality? Join #LifeAtGartner
What we offer:
Our people are our most valuable asset, so we invest in them from Day 1. When you join our team, you’ll have access to a vast array of benefits to help you live your life well. These resources are designed to support your physical, financial and emotional well-being. We encourage continued personal and professional growth through ongoing learning and development opportunities. Our employee resource groups, charity match and volunteer programs keep you connected to your internal Gartner community and causes that matter to you.
The policy of Gartner is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, citizenship status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected status and to affirmatively seek to advance the principles of equal employment opportunity.
Gartner is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers, including job seekers with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access the Company’s career webpage as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling Human Resources at +1 (203) 964-0096 or by sending an email to ApplicantAccommodations@gartner.com .Job Requisition ID:84355
By submitting your information and application, you confirm that you have read and agree to the country or regional recruitment notice linked below applicable to your place of residence.
Gartner Applicant Privacy Link: https://jobs.gartner.com/applicant-privacy-policy
For efficient navigation through the application, please only use the back button within the application, not the back arrow within your browser.