About this Role
Analysts create must-have insights for our clients through published research and client interaction. You will meet with clients every day: on the phone, in a videoconference, from the stage at a Gartner event, or face-to-face during a sales support visit. In every interaction, you will help clients overcome their challenges and perform better.
As part of Gartner’s Emerging Technologies and Trends Practice, you will equip leaders in the product management, product development, and product marketing roles– from the market or competitive intelligence experts to the CMO, CSO, CTO and the CEO – in the global devices and vehicle software industry with indispensable insights, advice, and tools to achieve their mission-critical priorities and build the successful organizations of tomorrow.
Gartner’s devices and vehicles market coverage includes automobiles, mobile phones, robots, drones, wearables (smart watch, HMD, etc.), smart home appliances, home automation devices, portable medical devices, consumer and industrial IoT devices, etc.
What You’ll do
A. Market and Competitive Intelligence Research
Build and manage a database of global device and vehicle suppliers with financials (such as revenue, COGS, SG&A, R&D Expense, inventory), M&A, product information, customers, partners, suppliers, key corporate developments, and other key information. Study and analyze the financials of global devices and vehicle software companies and estimate annual revenue using Gartner’s market share estimation methodology. Develop and maintain a model to forecast global devices and vehicle software market using Gartner Forecast methodology. Proactively collaborate with other Gartner analysts globally in related technology areas to suggest and undertake improvements in the accuracy and efficiency of reporting.
B. Emerging Technology Research
Study and analyze current and emerging technology developments in the field of device and vehicle operating system, embedded software, system software, middleware protocols and technologies, APIs, and applications. Deliver insights to product and service leaders on the adoption and growth of emerging device and vehicle software technologies by studying and analyzing patents, venture capital investments, skills demand, new product releases, etc. Assess the impact of emerging device and vehicle software technologies and advice product and service leaders across technology service providers on when and how to capitalize on new technologies for product innovation and differentiation. Identify existing and emerging use cases for emerging device and software technologies in terms of their prevalence, adoption potential, business value, and innovation. Identify and evaluate emerging vendors and start-ups in device and vehicle software technology domain for new product innovation, and new use case enablement.
C. Functional Role Research
Deliver advice and insights to product leaders across technology and service provider organizations that are developing and leveraging emerging device and vehicle software technologies on:
Product planning activities:
- Developing forecast, market share.
- Assessing changes in market opportunities and competitive landscapes.
- Refining product roadmaps to latest market realities.
- Analyzing impact of disruptive trends and technologies.
Product development activities:
- Ideating on ways to differentiate beyond features/functions.
- Reviewing and actioning product investments based on potential adoption slowdowns.
- Identifying new capabilities for competitive advantage, and
- Identifying investment areas for new product development.
Product launch and introduction activities:
- Identifying new ways and opportunities to drive market adoption post-downturns.
- Matching product capabilities to adjacent market opportunities.
- Identifying areas to focus and resources to maximize new market potential.
What you will need
BE/BTech from Grade A engineering colleges with specialization in Electronics, or Semiconductors, or software engineering.
Graduate + MBA (Marketing or Ops) from leading A & B-schools would be preferred.
Work experience: 12 - 15 years of total experience with 10 years minimum experience in software engineering and development Industry, preferably at a device or a vehicle software OEM organization, of which:
- Minimum 8 years in a software engineering/management or other similar role with responsibilities for overall software product design, development, roadmap planning, and execution.
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience in data and market analysis for technology strategy/roadmap development.
- Strong technology background in software engineering and development for devices and vehicles in general, and for automobiles specifically. Hands-on experience in product planning, product introduction and launch, product pricing, is preferred.
- Strong understanding of software business models, software development cycle and challenges, and the economics of software development.
- Awareness of the major issues across the IT, technology, semiconductor and electronics industry affecting software technologies and competitive landscape, and an eagerness to learn more.
- Strong understanding of the needs, wants, and challenges of device and vehicle software users and customers.
- Strong understanding of the device and vehicle software, especially automobile software supply and value chain.
- Good knowledge of device and vehicle software go-to-market, messaging and positioning, pricing, and buyer strategies.
MS Office Tools:
Ability to design, develop and maintain large Excel models for market share analysis and forecasting, and strong working knowledge of other MS Office tools such as Word and Power Point.
Project management skills:
Ability to manage time, keep projects on schedule, and resolve issues and deliver all client deliverables in a timely manner.
- Written: A strong writing ability is mandatory. Writing efforts will require stating/staking positions, justifying those positions with facts and providing actionable analysis and recommendations.
- Oral: Skills to converse on telephone, face to face, and on-stage, with the ability to explain complex concepts concisely.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to think creatively, independently, and efficiently to diagnose and contextualize issues, exhibit critical-thinking and problem-solving capabilities, including working on estimation problems and provide insightful and original analysis.
- Ability to demonstrate domain and quantitative expertise and create client-ready deliverables.
- Actively participate in appropriate Gartner global research communities for formal and in-formal knowledge sharing sessions.
- Ability to communicate, engage, and develop cordial professional relationships with analysts, key initiative leaders, team managers, and clients with a compelling and enthusiastic attitude that drives clients to action and guides them to success.
- Strong client presence and ability to relate to a variety of company and personality types is a must - ability to represent Gartner research, methodology and strategies at multiple levels (Board, C-Level, Business Unit and Operational) and multiple client organization types (End User Client, Investors, Technology and Service Providers, Resellers, Channel Partners).
- Ability to organize effectively, drive for results, collaborate productively, coach and develop colleagues where required – provide constructive feedback to peers as well as be receptive to feedback from peers.
- Complete ownership mindset, professional maturity and intellectual curiosity, ability to embrace change and act with integrity, and follow internal processes and policies, including, HR, IT and Finance.
Who you are
To thrive in this role, it helps if you are obsessed with your topic! Gartner analysts are correctly viewed as THE experts. This means that:
You know your technologies, markets, vendors, trends, management practices, etc., well and be able to see the forest and the trees. You are an excellent collaborator with the ability to quickly build rapport and gain client trust. You are a confident presenter with a high level of executive presence (prior experience with speaking engagements is a plus). You are an analytical thinker with the ability to process information quickly and make actionable recommendations. You are willing to challenge conventional norms and views.
What we offer:
In addition to an outstanding work environment with rapid advancement potential, you will be part of a team that is extremely collaborative and creative. Gartner associates enjoy exceptional compensation and benefits, including:
- Competitive base salary
- Flexible work environment
- Great work culture
Who are we?
At Gartner, Inc. (NYSE: IT), we deliver actionable, objective insight that drives smarter decisions and stronger performance on an organization’s mission-critical priorities. We’ve grown exponentially since our founding in 1979 and we're proud to have over 19,500 associates globally that support over 15,000 client enterprises in more than 100 countries.
What makes Gartner a great place to work?
Our teams are composed of individuals from different geographies, cultures, religions, ethnicities, races, genders, sexual orientations, abilities and generations. We believe that a diversity of experiences makes us stronger—as individuals, as communities and as an organization. That’s why we're recognized worldwide as a great place to work year after year. We've been recognized by Fortune as one of the World’s Most Admired Companies, named a Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index and a Best Place to Work for Disability Inclusion by the Disability Equality Index. Looking for a place to turn your big ideas into reality? Join #LifeAtGartner
What we offer:
Our people are our most valuable asset, so we invest in them from Day 1. When you join our team, you’ll have access to a vast array of benefits to help you live your life well. These resources are designed to support your physical, financial and emotional well-being. We encourage continued personal and professional growth through ongoing learning and development opportunities. Our employee resource groups, charity match and volunteer programs keep you connected to your internal Gartner community and causes that matter to you.
The policy of Gartner is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, citizenship status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected status and to affirmatively seek to advance the principles of equal employment opportunity.
Gartner is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers, including job seekers with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access the Company’s career webpage as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling Human Resources at +1 (203) 964-0096 or by sending an email to ApplicantAccommodations@gartner.com .Job Requisition ID:82125
By submitting your information and application, you confirm that you have read and agree to the country or regional recruitment notice linked below applicable to your place of residence.
Gartner Applicant Privacy Link: https://jobs.gartner.com/applicant-privacy-policy
For efficient navigation through the application, please only use the back button within the application, not the back arrow within your browser.