When it comes to IBM products and services, are our clients overpaying? Taking on too much commercial risk? Struggling with increasing commercial complexity? If you are passionate about this topic, innately curious as to where this vendor is going as the world continues its digital evolution, and passionate about helping clients negotiate with this mega vendor, Gartner needs you! Gartner will provide you with a platform to share your voice and interact with senior level clients across the globe. Added bonus - you will work with some of the smartest and sharpest in the industry, in an intellectually stimulating environment.
About this role:
This role creates thought leading IBM research and analysis to our Sourcing, Procurement and Vendor Management clients, and other IT leaders including CIOs through published research, conversations with clients (Inquiry), stage presentations, and client meetings. It is important that you have current knowledge of IBM contracting models, pricing, and discounting approaches as well as a vision for how IBM commercials, and overall contracting and negotiations with mega vendors will evolve worldwide and at a regional level.
What you’ll do:
As a Gartner analyst you will meet with senior level clients every day: in a video conference, from the stage at a Gartner event (or from your home stage for a virtual event) or face-to-face during a sales support visit. In all client interaction analysts help clients solve difficult puzzles that lead to better performance and business outcomes. To support these conversations you will research markets, practices and trends and produce written research for Gartner clients to leverage.
- Conduct research and analysis in IBM and Red Hat software pricing, terms and condition, trends and contracting, with deep knowledge/experience negotiating IBM ELAs (ESSOs and SSSOs and OIOs)
- Deliver high quality actionable advice through a variety of media
- Write high quality, clear, actionable research
- Help clients in their sourcing strategy, negotiation, vendor management processes and practices
- Predict the future of IBM and Red Hat license trends, new offerings, and new license and pricing models and metrics with a focus on IBM ELAs
- Help clients prepare for and negotiate IBM audits and audit settlements, specifically how to evaluate moving to IBM’s IASP program. Expertise in analyzing, negotiating, and incorporating audit settlements into a new or renegotiated IBM ELA.
- Remain ahead of the curve on developments and issues within overall software, SaaS, and cloud licensing
- Provide high quality and timely internal review and feedback on other analysts’ research
- Provide mentorship and support to team members
- Lead or participate in research community meetings to discuss research issues and collaborate with peers
- Demonstrate thought-leadership in establishing research positions across a team of analysts
- Respond to client questions, create materials for and deliver to clients in person, via video conference or webinar and event presentations
- Maintain Gartner’s industry leadership reputation by responding to press inquiries
- Create and deliver high-value presentations at our events and to small groups of clients and/or prospects
- Proactively work with the wider sales organization and deliver outstanding sales support to retain and grow the business
What you’ll need:
It helps to be obsessed with your topic! Gartner analysts are correctly viewed as THE experts. This means you need to know your markets, vendors, trends, management practices, etc. and be able to see the forest and the trees. Most Gartner analysts have many years of experience and enjoy solving puzzles. You are analytical, have a passion for researching, and able to synthesize your findings into actionable, consumable insights. You are also innately curious about the future, and exploring the “What if?”
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent commercial experience.
- 10+ years work experience in software contract negotiations, technology procurement, category management, vendor management, software asset management within a buying organization, consulting firm or reseller
- Subject matter expertise in IBM and Red Hat licensing, pricing, and ELA models, with the ability to demonstrate an understanding of negotiation best practices and trends in the software and cloud services market. Plus would be specific expertise in forecasting demand for IBM mainframe and Passport Advantage (e.g. DB2, WebSphere legacy products and IBM Cloud Paks) ELA renewals.
- Preference for wider IBM commercial expertise: e.g. IBM mainframe software models, specifically MLC Workload License Charge (WLC), one-time charge mainframe zOTC and VUE, and knowledge and expertise on IBM’s Tailored Fit Pricing (TFP) is strongly desired.
- In addition to specific IBM/Red Hat commercial knowledge, experience with other mainframe software and SaaS vendors such as Broadcom, BMC, Software AG, and SAS Institute is a plus. This should be augmented by an understanding and curiosity about the larger business impact of new technology and business trends on software and SaaS contracting models and costs, and how these can be navigated successfully
- Recent hands-on negotiation experience with IBM stand-alone Cloud Pak deals and IBM ELA renewals. Larger, complex ELA deal negotiation experience required.
- Solid understanding of sourcing/procurement or vendor management best practices
- Effective collaborator comfortable working across a multicultural and multigenerational global team
- Demonstrated superior analytical skills, applying conceptual models, recognizing patterns while drawing and defending conclusions. Strong business and financial acumen as well as analytical skills are required for this position
- Articulate and succinct communication skills. Publishing and speaking engagements are an advantage
Who are we?
Gartner delivers actionable, objective insight to executives and their teams. Our expert guidance and tools enable faster, smarter decisions and stronger performance on an organization’s most critical priorities. We’ve grown exponentially since our founding in 1979 and we're proud to have nearly 16,000 associates globally that support our 14,000+ clients in more than 100 countries.
What makes Gartner a great place to work?
Our teams are composed of individuals from different geographies, cultures, religions, ethnicities, races, genders, sexual orientations, abilities and generations. We believe that a variety of experiences makes us stronger—as individuals, as communities and as an organization. That’s why we're recognized worldwide as a great place to work year after year. We've been recognized by Fortune as one of the World’s Most Admired Companies, named a Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index and a Best Place to Work for Disability Inclusion by the Disability Equality Index. Looking for a place to turn your big ideas into reality? Join #LifeAtGartner
What we offer:
Our people are our most valuable asset, so we invest in them from Day 1. When you join our team, you’ll have access to a vast array of benefits to help you live your life well. These resources are designed to support your physical, financial and emotional well-being. We encourage continued personal and professional growth through ongoing learning and development opportunities. Our employee resource groups, charity match and volunteer programs keep you connected to your internal Gartner community and causes that matter to you.Gartner believes in fair and equitable pay. Certain locations in the United States require job postings to include a reasonable estimate of the base salary range and/or a general description of benefits and other compensation applicable to the role. For this role in those locations, the base salary range for new hires is:
California Annualized Base Pay Range: 130,000 USD - 150,000 USD
Colorado Annualized Base Pay Range: 130,000 USD - 150,000 USD
New Jersey Annualized Base Pay Range: 130,000 USD - 150,000 USD
New York Annualized Base Pay Range: 130,000 USD - 150,000 USD
Washington Annualized Base Pay Range: 130,000 USD - 150,000 USD
Please note that actual salaries may vary within the range, or be above or below the range, based on factors including, but not limited to, education, training, experience, professional achievement, business need, and location. In addition to base salary, employees will participate in either an annual bonus plan based on company and individual performance, or a role-based, uncapped sales incentive plan. Our talent acquisition team will provide the specific opportunity on our bonus or incentive programs to eligible candidates. We also offer market leading benefit programs including generous PTO, a 401k match up to $7,200 per year, the opportunity to purchase company stock at a discount, and more.
The policy of Gartner is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, citizenship status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected status and to affirmatively seek to advance the principles of equal employment opportunity.
Gartner is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers, including job seekers with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access the Company’s career webpage as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling Human Resources at +1 (203) 964-0096 or by sending an email to ApplicantAccommodations@gartner.com .Job Requisition ID:76054
By submitting your information and application, you confirm that you have read and agree to the country or regional recruitment notice linked below applicable to your place of residence.
Gartner Applicant Privacy Link: https://jobs.gartner.com/applicant-privacy-policy
For efficient navigation through the application, please only use the back button within the application, not the back arrow within your browser.