Title: Writing Coach
About the role:
The Writing Coach role meets with staff to evaluate their writing abilities and coach them toward creating succinct, engaging and grammatically correct publications and presentations (including research content, on-screen presentations, web content and emails). The Coach evaluates staff skills to create and present 1-1 training curriculum and monthly group training curriculum (with support from the Writing Coach Manager). Subjects of expertise include writing, style, readability, client-centricity, grammar and voice. Additional responsibilities may include other writing assessment duties, as assigned.
What you will do:
Training and Coaching
- Assess and monitor the writing quality training needs of staff, evaluating staff on initial meeting and analyzing their progress across subsequent meetings. Work with each participant to create a coaching plan. Provide clear, effective, timely responses to in-the-moment inquiries.
- Research, create and facilitate the appropriate training for staff via monthly classroom sessions and ongoing 1-1 coaching sessions. Lead training on content quality, readability, client engagement, editing and writing in Gartner voice for an online business audience.
- Provide overall guidance on quality of writing, ensuring messages are concise and cogent. Analyze training needs across staff and at individual levels to identify gaps between current and desired performance.
- Gracefully yet pointedly deliver writing feedback to all levels of research staff, helping them noticeably improve their writing quality.
- Perform expert rewrites to explain how to incorporate coaching feedback. Act as ultimate staff resource on content organization, engagement, readability, style, writing, grammar, punctuation, composition and editing questions. Understand the founding principles of writing for a business audience and teach them to others.
- Research, create and deploy the most effective writing checklists, takeaways and guidelines to improve writing quality and knowledge. Maintain a database for easy staff access.
Project Management and Analysis
- Develop and maintain monthly reports that highlight areas for improvement, average session scores, participation and score breakdowns by error type. Track sessions and survey responses and other related duties.
- Meet monthly with research leaders to discuss group writing challenges and suggest next steps. Partner with research leaders and team managers to devise strategies for staff participation and learning.
- Work with limited supervision to lead, guide and coordinate others across all Gartner offices.
- Ensure consistent, high-quality service by developing and maintaining dedicated, strong relationships with clients. Negotiate with clients on timelines and project task specifications.
- Assess coaching usage and strategize how to increase participation if necessary. Carry out communication strategy (in-person meetings, emails, office townhall, etc.) to boost staff understanding of best ways to take advantage of coaching.
- Participate in the ongoing review and evaluation of the writing center.
What you will need:
- Master’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications or a related field strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications or a related field strongly preferred
- At least 5 years of experience in editing and/or writing required (for internal candidates, minimum 2 years of experience in editing/writing/coaching writing at Gartner required)
- Experience in coaching writers in a fast-paced, complex environment preferred
- Experience in training groups virtually or in-person preferred
- Project and expectation management experience
- Demonstrated expert written and verbal English and communication skills, including rewriting, composition, grammar, vocabulary, editing, spelling and punctuation
- Ability to facilitate virtual and in-person group coaching/training sessions and individual coaching sessions.
- Strong work ethic; excellent time management and multi-tasking abilities
- Excellent MS Office and computer skills
What you will get:
- Competitive salary, generous paid time off policy, charity match program, and more!
- Group Medical Insurance, Parental Leave, Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Collaborative, team-oriented culture that embraces diversity
- Professional development and unlimited growth opportunities
Who are we?
Gartner delivers actionable, objective insight to executives and their teams. Our expert guidance and tools enable faster, smarter decisions and stronger performance on an organization’s most critical priorities. We’ve grown exponentially since our founding in 1979 and we're proud to have nearly 16,000 associates globally that support our 14,000+ clients in more than 100 countries.
What makes Gartner a great place to work?
Our teams are composed of individuals from different geographies, cultures, religions, ethnicities, races, genders, sexual orientations, abilities and generations. We believe that a variety of experiences makes us stronger—as individuals, as communities and as an organization. That’s why we're recognized worldwide as a great place to work year after year. We've been recognized by Fortune as one of the World’s Most Admired Companies, named a Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index and a Best Place to Work for Disability Inclusion by the Disability Equality Index. Looking for a place to turn your big ideas into reality? Join #LifeAtGartner
What we offer:
Our people are our most valuable asset, so we invest in them from Day 1. When you join our team, you’ll have access to a vast array of benefits to help you live your life well. These resources are designed to support your physical, financial and emotional well-being. We encourage continued personal and professional growth through ongoing learning and development opportunities. Our employee resource groups, charity match and volunteer programs keep you connected to your internal Gartner community and causes that matter to you.
The policy of Gartner is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, citizenship status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected status and to affirmatively seek to advance the principles of equal employment opportunity.
Gartner is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers, including job seekers with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access the Company’s career webpage as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling Human Resources at +1 (203) 964-0096 or by sending an email to ApplicantAccommodations@gartner.com .Job Requisition ID:73747
By submitting your information and application, you confirm that you have read and agree to the country or regional recruitment notice linked below applicable to your place of residence.
Gartner Applicant Privacy Link: https://jobs.gartner.com/applicant-privacy-policy
For efficient navigation through the application, please only use the back button within the application, not the back arrow within your browser.