Sr. Research Director, Secure Software Development and DevSecOps
REMOTE- North America
What makes Gartner a GREAT fit for you? When you join Gartner, you’ll be part of a fast-growing team that helps the world become smarter and more connected. We’re the world’s leading research and advisory company, achieving consistent double-digit growth by steering clients toward the right decisions with business and technology insights they can’t find anywhere else. Our associates enjoy a collaborative work environment, exceptional training and career development — as well as unlimited growth opportunities. If you like working with a curious, supportive, high-performing team, Gartner is the place for you.
What makes Gartner Research a GREAT fit for you?
- You are a team player who values expert insights, bold ideas and intellectual courage.
- You are always learning and looking to discover what’s next in technology.
- You pursue personal excellence through team collaboration and consensus.
- You love to shape ideas and business-related recommendations to help clients solve their technology adoption challenges.
If this describes you, Gartner is looking for you! Gartner is an upbeat culture based on collaboration, teamwork, integrity and objectivity that values creativity and innovation. As a Gartner analyst, you’ll not only help clients solve complex challenges and deliver on key initiatives, but you’ll also grow your career and the scope of your impact across industries. We work hard — and we reward success with exceptional opportunity.
What you’ll do:
This analyst creates thought leading research within our Software Engineering Group for technology leaders around the world. S/he publishes original research, speaks with clients directly, and presents at global events and on-site for client engagements. A life-long learner and versatile individual is who we want to join our team.
It is critical to have deep experience in software engineering security, a growth mindset, and an insatiable curiosity for the impact that software security has on IT, and all markets and industries. Our Software Engineering Leader clients need actionable advice on how to secure their software engineering initiatives.
As a Gartner analyst, you will deliver thought-leading software engineering research. You will meet with clients every day: on the phone, in video-conference meetings, from the stage at a Gartner event, or face-to-face during an on-site engagement. In every client interaction, analysts help clients solve difficult (organizational and technical) challenges that lead to better business performance .
To support these conversations you will research markets, practices and trends, and produce research for Gartner clients to apply to their mission critical priorities:
- Conduct research and analysis to uncover software engineering security trends and best practices.
- Deliver high-quality actionable advice through a variety of media (for example, video recordings, written research).
- Write provocative and pragmatic research that is clear and actionable.
- Create and deliver presentations for webinars, onsite engagements and Gartner conferences.
- Track vendors, market trends and emerging practices to remain ahead of the curve within these areas and adjacent spaces.
- Promote Gartner’s industry leadership reputation by handling press inquiries.
- Deliver outstanding sales support in order to retain and grow the Gartner business.
What you’ll need:
It helps to be passionate about software engineering security.
Gartner analysts are viewed as THE experts. You need to know your markets, vendors, trends, team practices, etc. and be able to see the forest and the trees. Most Gartner analysts have many years of hands-on experience and enjoy solving complex problems for the world’s biggest companies.
- Subject matter expertise, with demonstrated knowledge of DevSecOps and secure development practices.
- Ability to guide Gartner clients in designing an API security strategy.
- Knowledge of key challenges with cloud native application deployments including Kubernetes and container security.
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues that cover adjacent software security areas, including application security testing and web application and API protection.
- Flexibility to develop expertise in emerging areas of software engineering security, such as securing the software supply chain, creating software bill of materials, and related topics.
- Knowledge of Software Composition Analysis (SCA) to govern, manage and secure the use of open-source software packages.
- Knowledge of software observability tools and how to use the telemetry they provide to aid in software vulnerability and incident detection, response and coordination.
- Knowledge of and experience with application security testing tools such as static, dynamic and interactive application security testing (SAST, DAST, IAST). Be able to provide guidance into how these tools fit into CI/CD processes.
- Knowledge of threat modeling frameworks and ability to threat model an application design.
- Strong business acumen is required for this position.
- Articulate and succinct communication skills. Experience in publishing and doing speaking engagements is an advantage.
- Minimum of twelve to fifteen years of experience working in software engineering security in a practitioner or product management level.
- Bachelor's or equivalent experience, preferably Computer Science or related field. A graduate degree is a plus.
- Ability to conduct occasional travel, regionally and globally.
Who are we?
Gartner delivers actionable, objective insight to executives and their teams. Our expert guidance and tools enable faster, smarter decisions and stronger performance on an organization’s most critical priorities. We’ve grown exponentially since our founding in 1979 and we're proud to have nearly 16,000 associates globally that support our 14,000+ clients in more than 100 countries.
What makes Gartner a great place to work?
Our teams are composed of individuals from different geographies, cultures, religions, ethnicities, races, genders, sexual orientations, abilities and generations. We believe that a variety of experiences makes us stronger—as individuals, as communities and as an organization. That’s why we're recognized worldwide as a great place to work year after year. We've been recognized by Fortune as one of the World’s Most Admired Companies, named a Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index and a Best Place to Work for Disability Inclusion by the Disability Equality Index. Looking for a place to turn your big ideas into reality? Join #LifeAtGartner
What we offer:
Our people are our most valuable asset, so we invest in them from Day 1. When you join our team, you’ll have access to a vast array of benefits to help you live your life well. These resources are designed to support your physical, financial and emotional well-being. We encourage continued personal and professional growth through ongoing learning and development opportunities. Our employee resource groups, charity match and volunteer programs keep you connected to your internal Gartner community and causes that matter to you.
The policy of Gartner is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, citizenship status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected status and to affirmatively seek to advance the principles of equal employment opportunity.
Gartner is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers, including job seekers with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access the Company’s career webpage as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling Human Resources at +1 (203) 964-0096 or by sending an email to ApplicantAccommodations@gartner.com .Job Requisition ID:72768
By submitting your information and application, you confirm that you have read and agree to the country or regional recruitment notice linked below applicable to your place of residence.
Gartner Applicant Privacy Link: https://jobs.gartner.com/applicant-privacy-policy
For efficient navigation through the application, please only use the back button within the application, not the back arrow within your browser.