About the role:
This Research Director works within Gartner’s Infrastructure & Operations Research Team, which seeks to produce actionable best practices targeting senior IT leaders managing Infrastructure & Operations (I&O). A Research Director works closely with C-suite executives and senior IT executives to identify and produce research that solves complex, pressing business challenges on a global scale. This involves owning, managing, and leading priority projects that help clients understand and apply our insights, as well as having the ability to think logically and creatively to define future research direction.
Are you intellectually curious and motivated by ideas? Do you want to create research products that are widely used by executive leaders worldwide? Then this could be the role for you!
What you will do:
- Demonstrate intellectual curiosity, efficient reasoning, creative reasoning, development and use of data and evidence, and willingness to challenge conventional wisdom.
- Produce frame-breaking content by generating high volumes of bold and creative hypotheses, accurately recognizing patterns, correctly undertaking analysis, and challenging conventional wisdom.
- Own of research projects end to end, using a proprietary research process that includes hypothesis generation, primary and secondary research, and root cause analysis to identify unique, member-sourced insights.
- Hold a leadership role in shaping various types of research projects including: signature research, case studies, diagnostics, issue briefs, frameworks, tools, quantitative surveys, as well as live events.
- Partner with colleagues in research to develop skills, improve the research skills of others, and help the team sharpen root causing, hypothesis building, and framing to ensure content is provocative and directly applicable and actionable for clients.
- Coach and develop researchers, as well as editing draft documents and research projects. (Note: The Research Director does not have direct reports but does have a substantial role in coaching and developing researchers.)
- Collaborate with Gartner Analysts, Advisors and Headliners to ensure research is contextualized for member interactions and meetings in a way that will maximize impact.
- Connect and collaborate on insights with peers across the firm, to create new client teaching for the executives we serve and to innovate continuously on existing products.
- Collaborate with Quantitative researchers to develop surveys and other tools designed to spot interesting trends and capture data & evidence.
- Engage clients directly through phone interviews with Infrastructure and Operations executives to discover best practices.
- Communicate findings in a clear and compelling manner, including compelling text and graphics.
- Identify executive needs and inform the development of research around those needs, building frameworks and models to identify new teachings.
What you will need:
- Master's or PhD degree in any field as information technology, management, economics, data science, history, sociology etc.
- 9 + years of progressive business experience in research or a related field
- Demonstrated ability to translate qualitative and quantitative analysis into actionable business strategies
- Proven communications skills, and a superior ability to frame insight in written and visual presentation
- Experience in gathering input from and communicating ideas to clients and key stakeholders across businesses
- Experience with project management and coaching junior staff in a team environment. Ability to work collaboratively with a variety of business, data science and technical stakeholders
- Support change efforts through a positive attitude, constructive suggestions, and peer engagement
- Interest in IT and technology-led innovation
Who are we?
Gartner delivers actionable, objective insight to executives and their teams. Our expert guidance and tools enable faster, smarter decisions and stronger performance on an organization’s most critical priorities. We’ve grown exponentially since our founding in 1979 and we're proud to have nearly 16,000 associates globally that support our 14,000+ clients in more than 100 countries.
What makes Gartner a great place to work?
Our teams are composed of individuals from different geographies, cultures, religions, ethnicities, races, genders, sexual orientations, abilities and generations. We believe that a variety of experiences makes us stronger—as individuals, as communities and as an organization. That’s why we're recognized worldwide as a great place to work year after year. We've been recognized by Fortune as one of the World’s Most Admired Companies, named a Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index and a Best Place to Work for Disability Inclusion by the Disability Equality Index. Looking for a place to turn your big ideas into reality? Join #LifeAtGartner
What we offer:
Our people are our most valuable asset, so we invest in them from Day 1. When you join our team, you’ll have access to a vast array of benefits to help you live your life well. These resources are designed to support your physical, financial and emotional well-being. We encourage continued personal and professional growth through ongoing learning and development opportunities. Our employee resource groups, charity match and volunteer programs keep you connected to your internal Gartner community and causes that matter to you.
The policy of Gartner is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, citizenship status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected status and to affirmatively seek to advance the principles of equal employment opportunity.
Gartner is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers, including job seekers with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access the Company’s career webpage as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling Human Resources at +1 (203) 964-0096 or by sending an email to ApplicantAccommodations@gartner.com .Job Requisition ID:62917
By submitting your information and application, you confirm that you have read and agree to the country or regional recruitment notice linked below applicable to your place of residence.
Gartner Applicant Privacy Link: https://jobs.gartner.com/applicant-privacy-policy
For efficient navigation through the application, please only use the back button within the application, not the back arrow within your browser.