Software Procurement Expert (Microsoft/Google)
Gartner is seeking a candidate with expertise in software and cloud services contracting and negotiation with particular experience of negotiating with Microsoft or Google and other large software and SaaS providers. The candidate should bring an understanding of Microsoft or Google’s major programs, contracting models and pricing/ discounting approaches – both on premises and in the cloud. They should have a good grasp of the nuances of SaaS and software terms and conditions, how these are typically negotiated, and their financial impact. The successful candidate should understand how to negotiate effectively with Microsoft or Google, and also what key areas of the contracts are typically negotiable and to what extent.
The ideal individual will have a background in SaaS and software license negotiation, technology procurement category management, software asset management, or related leadership roles within a buying organization, consulting firm or reseller. In addition to specific Microsoft / Google commercial knowledge, experience with other large software vendors and cloud providers such as Salesforce, SAP, Oracle or ServiceNow is desired. This should be augmented by an understanding and curiosity about the larger business impact of new technology and business trends on software and SaaS contracting models and costs, and how these can be navigated successfully.
The successful candidate will be able to represent the larger body of Gartner research and work with an international body of seasoned analysts. This individual must conduct their own research related to Microsoft/Google contract negotiations, cloud contracting and how it will evolve, as well as the impacts of new technology and business trends on existing software license and services portfolios.
- Conduct research and analysis in Software and SaaS negotiations pricing and contracting, with a focus on Microsoft or Google.
- Cover the specified area as well as applicable adjacent areas in at least one area of expertise, while maintaining a view across a broad spectrum of the market, to produce innovative, thought-leading, impactful, analytically-deep, fact-based research.
- Lead the research process by identifying critical questions facing Gartner Sourcing Procurement & Vendor Management leader clients and crafting appropriate research methods to address them. Provide in-depth analysis based on extensive client input and personal experience.
- Drive client demand for your personal analysis and presentations.
- Lead a body of research and be recognized in the industry as a subject matter expert – develop a following.
- Create and deliver high-value presentations at our events and in small groups of clients and/or prospects.
- Assist the Sales organization in selling and retention on software licensing topics. Demonstrate an ability to demonstrate research value leading to successful sales.
- Provide high quality and timely research peer review. Provide mentorship and support team members.
- Lead or participate in research community meetings to discuss research issues and collaborate effectively with peers.
- Demonstrate thought-leadership in establishing research positions across a team of analysts.
- Deal effectively with the press.
- Establish credibility as an industry leader to represent Gartner research methodology and strategies.
- Bachelor's degree in related field; Masters (MSEE or MBA) preferred
- Minimum of 10 years work experience in IT / technology procurement, SaaS/ software contract negotiations, vendor management or software asset management.
Strong background in the following:
- Significant applicable experience in software/SaaS sourcing and procurement discipline and deep knowledge of contracting; an understanding of both technology and industry to include the rapidly evolving software and SaaS market, vendors, products and user strategies.
- Recent hands-on negotiation experience with Microsoft or Google (within last 12 months) Larger, complex deal negotiation experience preferred.
- Strong experience negotiating with other large software vendors and cloud providers.
- Experience with software license compliance risk assessment, management and/or mitigation in software audit context, particularly with Microsoft or Google, but also generally, is a plus.
- Excellence in written publications. Articulate and succinct communication skills; ability to explain complex ideas effectively. Examples from own publications would be beneficial.
- Exceptional analytical skills; ability to apply conceptual models, recognizing patterns and drawing and defending conclusions.
- Excellent presentation skills. Ability to perform well on-stage as well as in smaller groups, face to face.
- Strong market research skills, proven in a procurement, asset management or negotiator role.
- Successful track record of effectively working with C-Level executives.
- Engaging business stakeholders in strategic procurement.
- Collaborative teamwork, engaged with peers, good at sharing data and two-way communication.
- Strong project planning and management skills.
- Strong team-working ethos.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural global team
- Exceptional coaching, influencing and leadership skills.
- Knowledge of cloud (IaaS and PaaS) is a secondary role. Experience with the Internet of Things (IoT) and/ or AI / RPA licensing and procurement would be a plus.
Job Requisition ID:38222
By submitting your information and application, you confirm that you have read and agree to the country or regional recruitment notice linked below applicable to your place of residence.
Gartner Applicant Privacy Link: https://jobs.gartner.com/applicant-privacy-policy
For efficient navigation through the application, please only use the back button within the application, not the back arrow within your browser.