Director, Database Engineering
Provide leadership and direction of the Database Engineering team to ensure reliable and highly performant mission critical database platforms capable of operating in a continuously modernizing hybrid infrastructure.
- Lead a team tasked with ensuring 24x7 availability for all enterprise relational/NoSQL databases. Ensure team is providing necessary support in all phases of development and is able to support the business at velocity.
- Manage relationships and partners with functional areas across IT and the business units to raise awareness and understanding for how the Database Engineering team can add value to the organization
- Develop and manage Database Engineering charter; operations standards, documentation, governance, procedures and best practices.
- Partner with Architecture team to provide the best technology recommendations for business requirements and liaise with AppsDev & Operations management to ensure solutions align to strategic direction
- Optimize and consolidate Gartner’s database deployments where possible to manage licensing costs
- Ensure all database platforms are adhering to patch management policies defined by the security organization
- Monitor changes in the industry that affect Database platforms to provide continuous improvement in processes, procedures, tools, technologies, and capabilities.
- Manage resource assignment and project prioritization for the Database Engineering team. Determine relevant KPIs to measure team’s ability to complete work assignments, projects, and programs in a timely manner
- Provide periodic roadmap updates, operational reviews, and other strategic presentations to management and other IT staff on various aspects and capabilities of the Database Engineering group
- Recruit, mentor, develop, and retain a talented and geographically diverse team to ensure scalable operations and further develop innovative approaches to data management.
This leadership role will ensure the organization can rely on resilient, scalable, and performant database platforms while developing innovative and strategic data management solutions to support the business at velocity.
- Internal relationships with other teams within ITIO, Apps Dev, BU teams, Senior STG and BU management. External relationships with IT vendors and service providers.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science (preferred) or related discipline.
- 12+ years of information technology experience, at least 8 of them in a relevant database management role.
- Highly experienced with building & managing on most popular RDBMS DB platforms (i.e. Oracle, MSSQL, Postgres, etc.)
- Experienced with managing scalable systems in AWS RDS and Azure MSSQL
- Experienced with using and managing NoSQL DBs such as Cassandra or Elasticsearch
- Knowledge of IaaC and automation tools around DB deployments (Terraform, SSM, Jenkins, etc.)
- Hands on experience with SQL and DB performance tuning and rapid problem troubleshooting/resolution
- Experienced with migrating critical production DB workloads to new platforms and from on-prem to cloud
- Experienced with architecture design, capacity planning, back-up and recovery, and 24/7 operational support, in a large-scale enterprise environment that demands high availability
- Core knowledge and tuning experience with multiple OS platforms
- Constant process improvement thinking to reduce delivery time and develop innovative solutions
- Strong service orientated, collaborative attitude with both peers and internal customers
- Strong leadership, analytical, planning, resource management and excellent verbal/written communication skills.
Job Requisition ID:46498
By submitting your information and application, you confirm that you have read and agree to the country or regional recruitment notice linked below applicable to your place of residence.
Gartner Applicant Privacy Link: https://jobs.gartner.com/applicant-privacy-policy
For efficient navigation through the application, please only use the back button within the application, not the back arrow within your browser.