Venue Contracting Lead
Venue Contracting Lead implements and executes sourcing strategies to deliver against goals and objectives. Strong work ethic and analytical skills are a must, along with the ability to collaborate with client services personnel. Multi-tasking between various initiatives, team members, spends, systems and processes is imperative to deliver against goals and strategies.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities:
- Collate event requirements and partner with the Evanta Brand Leadership and Event Operations teams to ensure informed venue selections based on the projected growth and requirements of each individual conference.
- Lead a team of 3-4 direct reports on our in-house operations team
- Determine and communicate the sourcing priorities, understanding the needs and timelines of each region to ensure a holistic approach when confirming dates, avoiding conflicts where possible.
- Develops and implements negotiation strategy to achieve best price and/or enhancement consideration with suppliers, supporting the specific needs of the events and revenue goals/targets. Proactively negotiates prices and contracts for maximum cost savings.
- Negotiates critical program components based on knowledge of internal stakeholder requirements from initial request through contract completion and turnover; this includes recommending supplier and destinations options and solutions while considering client requirements.
- Manage the date allocation process for Evanta conferences, approx. 238+ conferences per year, ensuring venues are contracted and dates published in a timely manner to allow Sales sufficient lead time to reach business goals and Content enough time to secure speakers.
- Initiates RFP process to secure appropriate room blocks, logistical event needs, and pricing from hotels and other suppliers.
- Consider and flag the financial implications of any venue or portfolio changes or date moves, creating a calendar of conferences that supports our P&L goals – to maximize revenue opportunities and the ability to deliver exceptional on-site experiences while still minimizing costs where possible.
- Enable a proactive and strategic approach to managing the global calendar to optimize both date and venue selection.
- Apply knowledge of business strategy to streamline the review and approval processes
- Serve as a contributor on all official calendar communications, providing status updates and reporting to leadership, and control when future conferences can be published.
- Partner with technology providers and relevant stakeholders to ensure the products are depicted externally as envisioned (i.e. naming conventions, dates, locations etc.)
- Manage all approvals in line with the business strategy; initially identifying the criteria and approval process, then guiding stakeholders to ensure any decisions not in line with the strategy are escalated and presented effectively to leadership as required.
- Utilizes knowledge of domestic and international destinations to recommend appropriate sites.
- Ensures on-going assessment of current suppliers focused on optimizing cost savings, innovation and process improvements, while maintaining knowledge of new destination options, value-priced destination options and promotional offerings.
- As needed, conducts additional negotiations with supplier(s), such as DMC companies, and all other third-party suppliers, pre and post-sale, to improve costs, profitability and/or terms of targeted program components.
- May participate in program re-negotiations or cancellation negotiations, as required.
- Achieve appropriate benchmarking metrics as per client or company requirement.
- Manage a team of 3-5 direct reports to ensure goals and deliverables are achieved/executed before, during and after each respective conference, from both corporate messaging and attendee perspective, and individual professional development.
- Works on special projects as assigned by the Sr Operations Manager
- May require travel to conferences as needed, < 15% annually
- Bachelor’s degree with focus on events, project management or business preferred
- n depth knowledge of hotel, travel and meeting planning business is required, particularly in terms of normal service expectations.
- Understanding of event or conference logistics and technical production
- 3-5 years of business experience
- 2+ years of supervisory or program management experience, including cross-functional management
- Event planning experience helpful and experience with office billing, inventory control, invoices and collections.
- Exceptional communication and collaboration across events team, event partners and key stakeholders to ensure effective implementation of the processes and sharing ideas from events
- Proven project management abilities
- Experience of working in a complex multi layered environment with multiple stakeholders
- Knowledge of travel supplier operations, overall capabilities/range of services
- Proven experience in driving decisions in a matrix environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to build and leverage relationships with both internal and external stakeholders
- Fully competent in Microsoft office, especially Excel
- Passionate, energetic & enthusiastic, with a willingness to learn and produce high quality work
- Solution oriented strategic thinker - self-motivated & collaborative
- High sense of urgency
- Analytical / ability to work with high volumes of data
- Confident decision maker
- Comfortable working on multiple projects in a fluid, changing environment without a reduction in accuracy or quality of work product
- Exceptional professional integrity
- Willingness to assist colleagues with projects and tasks outside of job requirement
Job Requisition ID:34977
By submitting your information and application, you confirm that you have read and agree to the country or regional recruitment notice linked below applicable to your place of residence.
Gartner Applicant Privacy Link: https://jobs.gartner.com/applicant-privacy-policy
For efficient navigation through the application, please only use the back button within the application, not the back arrow within your browser.