Jr Research Analyst
THE RESEARCH ANALYST POSITION
The Gartner Research Board (GRB) is a division of Gartner dedicated to analyzing the strategic issues confronting technology leaders at the world’s largest, most complex organizations (global companies and government agencies). Today, our clients - or “members” - face massive challenges including disruption from startups, entirely new business models, and massive re-organizational efforts. The mission of the RB is simple: to do the big picture, forward-looking conceptual thinking about such challenges that CIOs, CTOs, CISOs, and other technology executives faced with pressing strategic concerns do not always have the time or bandwidth to do.
Every year, the Gartner Research Board invites a small group of highly talented individuals to join the firm as research analysts (RAs). RAs form the core of the RB’s research teams, distilling findings from a variety of sources and presenting them in a way that is consumable for senior technology executives. Research topics reside on the cutting edge of technology agendas, meaning that RAs must exercise a free hand to explore questions for which there are no easy or rote answers.
Being an RA at the RB is not a backend position: you will be directly engaging with executives at global Fortune 500 (in many cases F50, or F10) companies as well as founders of startups. We place this high level of trust in our associates because above all, RAs are the future leaders at the RB, and they are expected to rise to the challenge. The RA program builds RAs into leaders through training, mentorship, and through regular growth in roles and responsibilities. Many former associates have risen through the company, and we hire with this aim in mind.
You’ll be successful at the RB if you are creative and curious; an independent thinker and a team player; a fast learner and a great writer. RAs come from a spectrum of backgrounds, including public policy, economics, sociology, engineering, the sciences, and history. No matter what the RA’s background, a successful RA is someone who loves to think critically and deeply.
- Draw thoughtful conclusions from a cacophony of data, both from RB members and from secondary research.
- Propose and test insightful ideas through primary and secondary research and convey them in polished written products.
- Identify industry leaders, academics, and startup executives, both to conduct research interviews and to build our extensive set of relationships with industry thought leaders.
- Master the research and RB processes, with an eye towards continuous innovation to ensure the RB continues to provide world-class service.
- B.A./B.S. degree.
- Excellent writing, reading, and critical thinking skills. Interviewing and presentation skills are a plus.
- Prior research experience preferred. (Technology background is welcomed, but not in any way required).
- U.S. work authorization.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Direct interaction with our membership of senior executives from Fortune Global 500 companies and government agencies, and development of the skills needed to communicate at an executive level.
- Opportunity to meet and engage with renowned academics and key thinkers at established technology vendors and Silicon Valley startups.
- A highly thoughtful and intellectual (and fun!) work environment with colleagues who are well-rounded and deeply curious.
- A culture dedicated to learning and continuous improvement, ranging from professional presentation classes to structured feedback and individual coaching.
- Former RAs have been accepted to top business schools, PhD programs, other graduate degree programs, gone to work for established companies and startup technology vendors, or have continued their careers at Gartner.
PLEASE SUBMIT COVER LETTER AND WRITING SAMPLE IN ADDITION TO RESUME.
Job Requisition ID:36776
By submitting your information and application, you confirm that you have read and agree to the country or regional recruitment notice linked below applicable to your place of residence.
Gartner Applicant Privacy Link: https://jobs.gartner.com/applicant-privacy-policy
For efficient navigation through the application, please only use the back button within the application, not the back arrow within your browser.