Senior Oracle Database Administrator
Senior Database Administrator
What makes Gartner Digital Markets a GREAT fit for you?
Gartner Digital Markets is a business unit within Gartner. Our mission is to help small businesses make the right technology decisions and find the tools they need to grow, optimize, and become more effective at what they do. The business is comprised of three leading brands—Capterra, Software Advice, and GetApp. For candidates interested in taking their next career step in the technology space, Gartner Digital Markets offers the fast pace and excitement of working for a startup, the stability and resources of a large, established organization, and the opportunity to be on the front lines of innovation in an industry that is always growing and transforming.
About this role:
The Sr Database Administrator role is a role that will be part of DevOps team within Capterra Tech team. The role is responsible for providing database administration support for databases used by Capterra applications. The Capterra database infrastructure include Oracle databases residing in Equinix data center and AWS public cloud. They belong to production as well as non-production environment. DevOps team is responsible for providing uptime SLA of 99.99 for the production environment. To achieve this SLA goal, this role will support in monitoring and responding to any alerts relating databases in production environment in time.
What you’ll do:
- Plan and implement Oracle installations, upgrades and migrations
- Perform core database administration activities such as database creation, performance tuning, monitoring, backups/restore/recovery, database cloning etc
- Maintain git repositories with UNIX shell scripts, Ruby and PERL scripts that are used for database maintenance
- Assist development team in day to day activities such as data model change push via github PRs to staging/production and SQL query tuning
- Maintain database backups on NFS server as well as AWS S3 backup
- Maintain various jenkins jobs such as building a new AWS EC2 instance with test database or refresh a DB on existing EC2
- Monitor RMAN backups, perform restore/recovery when needed
- Maintain and build vagrant development database boxes in AWS S3 used by the development team
- Troubleshoot and assist in Oracle related issues. Create SR and work with Oracle support when needed.
- Maintain PL/SQL procedures, functions and packages.
- Perform system administration when required to assist the team
- Work with DevOps team to implement solutions that would improve the productivity
- Evaluate new technologies, coordinate with the team to implement the technology that improves the team output
- Maintain documentation on the wiki
What you’ll need:
- 5-8 Years Oracle administration experience with 11g and 12c
- Excellent with RedHat like Linux operating systems
- Excellent with SQL, PL/SQL, and shell scripting
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Working knowledge of SDLC and Agile methodologies
- Ability and desire to learn new technologies in Oracle and DevOps area and work with the team to implement new solutions to improve productivity
- Demonstrated experience in Oracle core database activities such as software installation, database creation, performance tuning, backup/restore/recovery using RMAN and many more
- Working knowledge of scripting language such as UNIX shell scripts, ruby, Perl and Python
- Experience with Oracle RAC, Data Guard, GoldenGate replication, Oracle Enterprise Manager is a plus but not required
- Experience with AWS cloud technology such as working with EC2, S3 storage, EBS volumes is a plus but not required
- Experience in DevOps tools/technology such as Chef, Jenkins, Docker is a plus but not required
- Bachelor’s/Master’s Degree in Computer Science OR related fields
Who you are:
The role will be part of DevOps team within Capterra Tech team. The role is responsible for providing database administration support for databases used by Capterra applications.
What we offer:
In addition to an outstanding work environment with rapid advancement potential, Gartner associates enjoy exceptional compensation and benefits, including:
- Competitive base salary
- Uncapped commissions
- Generous performance-based rewards, including all-expense-paid trips to exotic locations around the world.
Gartner, Inc. (NYSE: IT) is the world’s leading information technology research and advisory company. We deliver the technology-related insight necessary for our clients to make the right decisions, every day. We work with every client to research, analyze and interpret the business of IT within the context of their individual role. Founded in 1979, Gartner is headquartered in Stamford, Connecticut, U.S.A.– Visitgartner.com to learn more.
Diversity, inclusion and engagement at Gartner:
The policy of Gartner is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, caste, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Gartner affirmatively seeks to advance the principles of equal employment opportunity and values diversity and inclusion.
Gartner is an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers, including job seekers with disabilities. If you are a qualified applicant with a disability and unable to or limited in your ability to use or access the Gartner’s career webpage as a result of your disability, you may request reasonable accommodations by calling Human Resources at +1203-964-0096 or by sending an email to Applicant.Assistance@gartner.com
Job Requisition ID:38639
By submitting your information and application, you confirm that you have read and agree to the country or regional recruitment notice linked below applicable to your place of residence.
Gartner Applicant Privacy Link: https://jobs.gartner.com/applicant-privacy-policy
For efficient navigation through the application, please only use the back button within the application, not the back arrow within your browser.