Director, Software Engineering
What makes Gartner a GREAT fit for you? When you join Gartner, you’ll be part of a team with a no-limits mindset that helps the world become smarter and more connected. We’re the world’s leading research and advisory company that steers clients toward the right decisions with business and technology insights they can’t find anywhere else. Our associates enjoy a collaborative work environment with exceptional training and career development. If you like working with a curious, supportive, high-performing team, Gartner is the place for you.
About the role:
We are seeking a Director, Software Engineering to join our team in Gurgaon, India office. The Director is responsible for leading the product development and technical management of Gartner’s service delivery technology platforms, including all web based service applications that provide access to Gartner’s Service teams. Reporting to the Vice President of Software Engineering, Sales and Service Delivery Team, this leader is accountable for collaborating with a globally positioned Technical teams, Product Owners, Product Managers, Project Managers and other cross-functional units to maintain the current platform and also to deliver new products. The primary business objectives are to increase retention of gartner clients by improving value and frequency of engagement of service associates on digital platforms (web & email).
What you’ll do:
- Manages a team of front-end, server-side and full-stack developers, quality assurance, including hiring, performance management and career development.
- Manages a formal software development lifecycle process that provides consistent and repeatable delivery of software enhancements and new-to-world capabilities
- Manages an Agile (Scrum) Development process in a continuous integration and deployment methodology.
- Partners with all Product Leaders to develop new product features and upgrade existing products and processes; helps define product and project deliverables, budgets, schedules, and testing, launch and release plans.
- Use a mix of Open Source and Commercial software to keep operating costs in line with industry standards
What you’ll need:
- Master/Bachelor of Science/Technology in Computer Science, or equivalent.
- Overall 15+ years of experience in web and software development and atleast 6-8 years of people management experience.
- Proven experience in building teams from scratch and growing individuals into leaders.
- Excellent people management skills, including coaching and staff development.
- Excellent knowledge of distributed architecture using Java/.NET/other-OO, REST and Web development technologies.
- Excellent knowledge of Apache open source product stack such as Sling, Spring, Hibernate, etc.
- Excellent knowledge and experience designing and developing large scale, high traffic applications.
- Experience with Continous Integration and Deployment.
- Experience working with Cloud infrastructure preferably AWS.
- Excellent understanding of Agile Principles and experience managing development via multiple development teams in an Agile environment.
- Excellent understanding of QA manual and automation testing methodologies
- Hands-on experience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to communicate effectively with internal clients, vendors and technology partners.
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong experience in working with open source software and developing on open source platforms.
Who you are:
- Passionate about technology, self-learner who keeps abreast with latest developments.
- Consistent high achiever marked by perseverance, humility and a positive outlook in the face of challenges
- Able to solve complex problems and successfully manage ambiguity and unexpected change.
- An effective leader who is assertive yet considerate, passionate yet logical, persuasive, and inspiring. Exceptional influencing and leadership skills.
- Strong team-working ethos.
What we offer:
In addition to an outstanding work environment with rapid advancement potential, Gartner associates enjoy exceptional compensation and benefits, including:
- An upbeat, positive culture. Integrity, objectivity, collaboration, results and a no-limits mind-set are central to our values.
- Limitless growth. We work with you to help you meet your goals and advance within the company.
- Encouragement to be innovative and challenge status quo.
- Exposure to industry leading training and development.
- Performance-based recognition and rewards
Who are we:
Gartner is the world’s leading research and advisory company, offering information, advice and tools for business leaders. We provide objective and invaluable insights to our C-level executive clients, where we guide them to achieve the mission-critical priorities of their organization. We’ve grown exponentially since our founding in 1979 and now employ over 17,000 associates globally and support 12,000 clients in more than 100 countries.
Our awards and accolades:
- Fortune World’s Most Admired Companies 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 & 2020
- Forbes America’s Best Employers 2018, 2019; Best Management Consulting Firms 2017, 2018, 2019
- Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index Best Places to Work for LBGTQ Equality 2018, 2019 & 2020
Job Requisition ID:48883
By submitting your information and application, you confirm that you have read and agree to the country or regional recruitment notice linked below applicable to your place of residence.
Gartner Applicant Privacy Link: https://jobs.gartner.com/applicant-privacy-policy
For efficient navigation through the application, please only use the back button within the application, not the back arrow within your browser.