Sr. Principal, Research – Consumer Insights, Gartner for Marketing Leaders - Flexible Location
We're seeking a Senior Principal to discover and generate actionable business ideas that will influence Fortune 100 executives and help them transform their organizations. Gartner's research is often cited in major news outlets including Forbes, Harvard Business Review, The Washington Post, and The Economist, allowing our firm to extend our impact even further.
The Senior Principal supports the Consumer Insights Key Initiative within the Gartner for Marketing Leaders (GML) practice, which is a subscription-based membership targeting CMOs that uncovers best-practice approaches to solve mission-critical priorities and builds frameworks and tools to help clients understand and apply insights. The GML product aims to help increase returns on marketing spend, influence stakeholders' perceptions and behaviors, and build innovative strategies. Consumer Insights researchers (formerly Iconoculture) study key areas of consumer behavior and then produce deliverables based on findings that have urgent implications for marketing leaders.
How You Will Make an Impact at Gartner:
- Generate research hypotheses for key consumer topic areas (generations/demographics, online platforms, consumer culture) by staying abreast of emerging trends and evaluating their significance to marketing leaders, as well as incorporating areas of client interest revealed to analyst and advise colleagues through inquiry
- Leverage a deep understanding of marketer priorities and challenges to derive consumer insights that prompt action
- Analyze existing proprietary and audited secondary data based on research agendas, internal requests, and client requests; conduct qualitative research such as community panels, focus groups, ethnographies and social media analysis
- Generate charts, tables, and other data visualizations to illustrate findings
- Craft clear, insight-driven stories that emphasize applicability to marketer roles and responsibilities
- Demonstrate leadership by providing guidance and support to colleagues with all phases of the quantitative and qualitative research process, especially analytic approach and execution, interpretation and synthesis of findings, reporting of findings, development of insights, formation of actionable marketer recommendations, and deliverable creation
- Forge relationships with researchers and analysts within other parts of the Gartner for Marketing Leaders research practice to understand their Key Initiatives and seek ways to bring Consumer Insights research to bear across GML
- Bachelor's degree
- 4+ years of post-undergraduate research experience
- 4+ years of experience in analyzing quantitative and qualitative data to identify relevant findings
- 4+ years of experience conducting primary and secondary research utilizing qualitative and quantitative data
- Strong writing skills and experience creating graphical representations of data
- At least one year experience managing projects
- A curiosity and passion for consumer culture with a keen ability to spot patterns ahead of the curve
- High proficiency in distilling large amounts of data into important relevance for marketing leaders (CMO, etc.)
- Ability to synthesize diverse ideas and multiple data points to tell a compelling story
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a team while meeting deadlines
- A collaborative spirit that welcomes and provides feedback and edits from/to a variety of stakeholders
- Prior team management experience
- 3 + years of project management experience
- Advanced Social Sciences degree or equivalent departmental research experience
- Experience communicating complex data through relevant means to senior leaders
- Experience in a creative or media agency, corporate market research/consumer insights function, or business/data journalism publication
- Arlington, Minneapolis, New York, Los Angeles or San Francisco base preferred
Job Requisition ID:32618
By submitting your information and application, you confirm that you have read and agree to the country or regional recruitment notice linked below applicable to your place of residence.
Gartner Applicant Privacy Link: https://jobs.gartner.com/applicant-privacy-policy
For efficient navigation through the application, please only use the back button within the application, not the back arrow within your browser.